Wednesday, July 31, 2013

newsletters

I guess I'm a bit behind the times, but I haven't gotten around to setting up a decent RSS feed reader to get all my news from.  Instead, I decided to set up a spam email account and subscribe to a few choice newsletters instead.  I feel that getting the news on some sort of a regular basis is something that people right out of college don't always think about.  For a while I had a few sites that I would go to, but now that I'm starting my own company, I decided to try and get more targeted news.

Just to make sure that everything is nicely organized (because often times I just ignore things that are disorganized) I created a new email account just for receiving and sorting newsletters.  I've signed up for newsletters from all the major companies that I could think of that would support the technologies that I might ever work with.  This includes all the languages that are part of my products and articles about marketing, management, and other various executive type topics.

So far the results have been surprisingly good.  I've gotten to view online developer events, received developer digital magazines and browsed through a few high-level corporate articles about advertising and marketplace trends.  What I think is probably the most important aspect of the newsletter subscriptions is that I feel in some way obligated to at least browse through the emails.  I don't know about other people, but I like to feel like my inbox is under control.  And that's when I'll hopefully noticed things like security updates and bug fixes.

No comments:

Post a Comment