Saturday, July 20, 2013

weekend

Today is the weekend.  I got out and did some physical exercise today.  Painting walls and cleaning windows mostly, but it was a good change of pace to be away from the computer for a while.  Outside of my exercise schedule, I don't leave the house a lot these days.  When you work in a cubicle or do other extensive professional computer work, you tend to get accustomed to a certain type of lifestyle.  Adventures outside of your routine can be quite interesting.  All and all, it was a good time though.

My thought work is orginization.  I have a system in place.  My current system includes text files labeled with todo and a very vague system for keeping track of tasks.  It closely resembles more professional approaches like BugZilla and other enterprise solutions.  But, the system is mostly for show at the moment.  Most of the volume of work occurs with new products and features.  These are always left out of the todo system because it allows you to go more quickly in the beginning.  Well, that's the theory anyway.  Yet the way things always work out, you plan all the parts of what you're going to do before you do them, it just may not be written down on paper.  I think I do this because I hate changing my plans.  Expecially plans I've worked so hard to design.  It's like yelling at myself.

So, I'll code and code and code.  Then, I have a large amount of functionality and layouts and very little direction to where the project needs to be headed.  So, as soon as I get distracted, I have to "get back into" the project.  I think that if I just keep trying to stay organized, it will even out my productive bursts.  When I run out of ideas, or get stuck on a problem, I'll have a list of shorter tasks that I can accomplish to feel good about myself again.  Then, I'll have a list of completed tasks for patting myself on the back later.  It sounds like a good system, but I still need to stay current.

No comments:

Post a Comment